Tuesday 08/08/06

Wet and windy start to the day. A large cargoship hovers on the horizon which approaches the harbour at a distance. A fast boat comes and goes. A new shower obscures it from view. Mrs B's moth orchid is starting to flower. A Great Skua flies over the basin, mobbed by arctic terns. The Skua (also known as a bonxie) is an aggressive customer, mobbing smaller birds or even killing them in flight. It is fast with chevron marks on its wings. The afternoon is windy, which makes it hard for mrs B to lug her shopping back from town. Her nephew and son call in for supper in the evening at 6pm. This consists of celery soup; smoked salmon; goulash; chocolate and raspberry cake. A good long yarn was had by all. A lady comes to stay from Scoraig, which is a peculiar community opposite Ullapool. The Spanish couple who've been here since the weekend will depart on the 6.15 am ferry tomorrow morning. Island Blogging has been placed in new management, which is fast and efficient. Great rainbows at 8.30pm.

1 comment:

ADB said...

Just a Yankee lass here with a yearnin for the heather. I 'd like to dock here now and again if you don't mind, so as to read a word or two and gladden me heart. Thank ya! CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/
Comment from luddie343 - 10/08/06 01:07

Thanks for visiting my journal; loved the photos of the varied weather you get on Lewis, especially the rainbows,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
Comment from bobandkate - 09/08/06 10:39

Hi, found your note on my Pulmonary Fibrosis blog, thank you so much for writing to me. I hope I am back blogging. I love the pictures, and yes it has been very very hot in my state of Texas! Jan
Comment from jan3145 - 09/08/06 09:26

The orchid is beautiful! Fancy naming that big ship after my little Nina, she was well pleased when I showed her it! Jeannette xx
Comment from jlocorriere05 - 09/08/06 08:21